Friday, August 14, 2009

First Trial and Finds

The first field test for my new Garret ACE 250 metal detector was on Aug 10 where I brought it to a nearby beach next to a small Malay village.

I was quite nervous to bring the metal detector out just in case some people are over curious to bombard with a lot of questions which I myself would not able to answer or won't bother to answer.

Actually I wanted to do the field test earlier on Aug 5 at the same beach, and when I arrived there I saw a platoon of soldiers conducting their training at the same beach. And I said OMG, what a day to start with! So I just shelved the idea to try out my new toy that day.

Luckily on Aug 10, there were only three girls, sitting on a log admiring the scenery and I believed a guy,probably one of the girls' boyfriend or probably he's a lucky one having the three of them all at once, inside a parked car at the other end of the beach. So I chose the empty end of the beach to avoid curiosity for the meantime.

Coming back to my trial, I followed closely the instruction manual which says to practice with the 'All-Metal' mode for the first 10 hours or so in order to be familiar with the detector.

So I switched it on and pressed the 'All-Metal' mode button. I scan the beach floor and not long there was an array of blips, dings and dongs, indicating that there is a good metal or trash underneath my feet. I listen attentively for the right tone while swinging the detector as instructed.

Once I pick up a consistent tone, I squat down with my trowel in hand and dig the ground not expecting anything much. True enough my first find was a beer bottle cap! yeah. Ok, I started again listening on the headphone to get a signal and right away another constant tone. I dug and a nail, another try, some aluminum foils, a lead fishing sinker and other trash.


Suddenly there was this particular bell tone sound, it was under an ash of a barbecue pit . I dug and walla! A 10 sen coin, I scanned again the same area, the same tone came up, three more 10 sen coins and a 20 sen.





Wow! not bad for a first day trial. It was great fun. At least I got the hang of how to use my new lovely gadget and getting it right the first time. It was a joy.

So Go Hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment